From the last week in September through Election Day in November, we will pray for the health of our nation and the holiness of our church. We are going to do this in two ways as a church: 1) a commitment and 2) training & resources.
The Commitment: Daily Reflection & Weekly Fasting
Daily: Reflect on the Ten Commitments
In the midst of a chaotic cultural moment, daily centering ourselves on Christ and his vision for Life is vital if we are to maintain sober minds and soft hearts. We will hand out reminder cards in the services on 9/20. Here are the ten commitments we will remind ourselves of daily:
- 1. Worship (Ex 20:2-3; Psalm 115:1-8, Phil 2:9-11): I commit my allegiance to King Jesus over all other idols and ideologies.
- 2. Love (Phil 2:1-11, Matt. 22:34-40): I commit to participating in civic life as a means of loving and serving my neighbor.
- 3. Respect (Gen 1:26, James 3:9): I commit to honoring the image of God in all people by treating them with dignity.
- 4. Wisdom (Psalm 119; 2 Tim 3:16): I commit to having my views challenged by the Bible rather than using the Bible to proof-text my presuppositions.
- 5. Speech (Gal 5:22-23, James 3): I commit to engaging in political speech that is marked by love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
- 6. Humility (James 1:19, 1 Cor 12:12-26): I commit to being quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger.
- 7. The Log (Mt 7:1-5): I commit to giving meaningful attention to critiquing potential flaws in my own political ideas and instincts.
- 8. Justice (Is 1:17; Micah 6:8, Mt 23:23): I commit to pursuing justice as I engage in public life and allowing Scripture to shape my concept of justice.
- 9. Peacemaking (Mt 18:15-17, Rom 12:17-21): I commit to face-to-face conflict resolution rather than arguments on social media.
- 10. Enemies (Mt 5:43-44, 1 Tim 2:1-4): I commit to loving and praying for my so-called political enemies.
Weekly: Fast & Pray on Tuesdays
In a culture that trusts in the power of humanity, we will trust in the power of God. For the six Tuesdays leading up to and including election day (9/29, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 10/27, 11/3), we are asking our whole church to fast and pray. Monday of each week we will post prayer prompts and fasting tips. For guidance on how to fast, see this blog post: How (Not) To Fast.
Training & Resources
Class: Political Ideologies & The Christian Faith
In sound-bite and headline-only reading culture, we want to think deeply about the various forces in play in our current political realities. We will look at historical, theological, sociological, biological, and spiritual roots of political thought and process. Our class will include homework, small group discussions, and teaching.
- When – Wednesdays, 10/7, 10/14, 10/21, 10/28 – 7pm
- Where – Zoom
- What – Weekly Content Breakdown:
- 10/7 – Theological & Spiritual Frameworks
- 10/14 – Historical & Biological Frameworks
- 10/21 – Roman & Reformed Frameworks
- 10/28 – Political Vision & the Path Forwards
Sign Up Here: Political Ideologies & The Christian Faith
In a cultural moment where there is lots of talking and little listening, we want to listen to thoughtful members of Redemption Church who can help us not only think deeply, but feel rightly as it relates to complex issues in our time. We will release new episodes on Tuesday mornings on the For Jesus Podcast (Luke Simmons, Alessi Debartolo, Joshua Ruiz, and Guests).
- King Jesus 2020 Episodes:
- Political Religions — interview with Redemption Tempe pastor, Jim Mullins.
Workshop: Handling Heated Conversations
In our pain-avoidant culture, we want to be people who move towards tension for the sake of love. What is the best way to lean into difficult conversations with neighbors, friends, and family? What needs to happen in our hearts in order for us to have the ability to have those emotionally charged conversations well? What strategies or tactics could help us be more effective in these situations? Our Counseling Director, Vicki Diemert, will help us see a way forward.
- When – Tuesday 10/27 6:30pm
- Where – the Box (worship space)
Sign Up Here: Handling Heated Conversations
Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.Jeremiah 29:7