Here are a number of questions for discussion in families or in Redemption Community small groups. For more information about RCs, click here.
1. Do you like to garden or work in the yard? If so, what do you enjoy about it? If not, is there another hobby that helps you relax?
2. What do you think Jesus means when he says that “apart from me, you can do nothing”?
3. In Jesus’ illustration, the abiding branches are pruned (which is painful) and the non-abiding branches are gathered and burned (which is painful). How can you tell the difference between the perfecting pain God allows for his children and the punishing pain God inflicts on his enemies?
4. The chain of verses 9, 10, and 12 show us that abiding in Jesus = keeping his commandments = loving one another. Why do you think we often view abiding in Jesus as just a solitary thing, centered around our personal spiritual practices?
5. Who is God calling and inviting you to sacrificially love? How might it look for you to do so?