Here are a number of questions for discussion in families or in Redemption Community small groups. For more information about RCs, click here.
#1 What marriages in your life stand out to you as impactful (good or bad)? What stands out?
#2 Josh covered many of the passages that God uses to focus us in marriage (Proverbs 5:1-6, 6:23-36, 15:17, 21:19, and 31:1-31, 1 Corinthians 7:3-5, Ephesians 5:22-31, Colossians 3:18-19, 1 Timothy 3:1-3, 11, Titus 2:2-5, 1 Peter 3:1-7).
He summarized it down to the following:
Husband’s Focus = As you lead, cultivate a growing understanding and gentle approach with your wife and be careful in finding sexual satisfaction elsewhere.
Wife’s Focus = As you submit, cultivate a heart that genuinely likes your husband as a friend and be careful in using your words to diminish him.
What do you think about this focus? What stands out? What would you add or take away? Why?
#3 Talk through the 6 areas a Christian spouse should be cultivating. As a group, discuss the following questions.
Where on the scale would you put your marriage? Why?
What tools or wisdom has helped you in this area?
What about our current season of life makes cultivating this area difficult?
What people could you go to for help?
- Time (Are you cultivating nearness or distance?)
- Communication (Are you cultivating vulnerability or guardedness?)
- Realistic Expectations (Are you cultivating cynicism or grounded hope?)
- Fighting (Are you cultivating competition or unity?)
- Sex Life (Are you cultivating intimacy or apathy?)
- Fun (Are you cultivating joy or crabbiness?)
#4 Do you struggle to see the smile of Jesus on you? What could help you experience his delight more?