Here are a number of questions for discussion in families or in Redemption Community small groups. For more information about RCs, click here.
1. When faced with the objection against Christianity that “it is too full of hypocrites,” what response would you give?
2. Why do you think Jesus takes such a big portion of his Sermon on the Mount to address this topic? Do you think this is still an issue in our life and in our church or is it more relevant to the religious community of Jesus day?
3. The sermon walked through a few different scenarios asking the same three questions.
- What “show” is put on?
- What reward was earned/lost?
- What safeguard could help?
Which scenarios in the text or in Josh’s illustrations resonated with you? Why? Did God bring anything to your attention that reveals versions of this hypocrisy in your own life?
4. What do you think of the reality that God promises that we will get what we want in this area: our reward will either be the praise of men or a reward from our heavenly Father? Is this discouraging or encouraging to you?
5. Do you think you can apply this passage in your life without the help of other Christians? Why or why not? How can we help each other in this area both to discern our wrong motives and to encourage each other to seek our heavenly Father’s approval and rewards?