Here are a number of questions for discussion in families or in Redemption Community small groups. For more information about RCs, click here.
1. On a scale of 1-10, how much do you sense the kingdoms of the world (self, money/consumption, sex/pleasure, education/technology, power/fame, know-it-all/do-it-all) pressuring you? Where do you feel it the most?
2. The story in Acts 12 contains a remarkable reversal: At the beginning, James is dead, Peter is in prison, and Herod is triumphing; At the end, Herod is dead, Peter is free, and the word of God is triumphing. How is this actually a description of what God does for us in the gospel?
3. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the visible power of the world when all we have is prayer. But why is prayer such a powerful weapon? How does God use prayer to bring the kingdom to the one praying?
4. In the face of trials and pressures, we pray (12:5) and we sleep (12:6). How can sleep function as an act of worship?
5. What is one area you’re hoping to grow in over the summer? Why?